For the last year or so I've been trying to eat less wheat, usually only once (or sometimes twice) a day. I've tried several alternative flours, but cooking with them can be a little tricky. Thankfully my mom is very inventive. =)
I posted our recipe for delicious whole wheat Irish soda bread here.
Today I want to share the recipe my mom came up with for blueberry pancakes - using gluten-free flour. And they're actually pretty tasty!
Gluten-free Blueberry Pancakes
- 2 cups flour -- we use "Bob's Red Mill: Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour" (It's available at most health food stores, and their website has a lot of information and more recipes http://www.bobsredmill.com/)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (we use organic eggs)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup water (or more if needed)
- about 3/4 cup organic blueberries (or however many you want to add)
Mix dry ingredients. Then add egg, oil and water. Stir mixture, then add blueberries and stir again.
Fry in organic coconut oil in stainless steel skillet. (We always avoid teflon & non-stick pans because they're highly toxic.)
Makes about 6-8 pancakes (depending on size).
Question: Do you have a healthy 'alternative' recipe you'd like to share? Please post them in the comments. Thanks!